[UFO Chicago] RE: [LUNI-D] SSSCA

Mills Reece-RMILLS1 reecemills@motorola.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:48:26 -0500

I sub'd encyption for arms and packet for man.
Thomas J. knows what's up!

Laws that forbid the use of encrypton... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent data crimes, for an unencrypted packet may be attacked with greater confidence than an encrypted packet.

Reece Mills paraphase of Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764