[UFO Chicago] e-mail help update 2

Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:26:07 -0500

Quoting Thomas:
>    Setting up anything else, well I would need help.  So Peter, when are
>    you leaving?  It wouldn't be a big deal to set up these accounts with
>    my ISP for a couple weeks, but I do need to get rid of them.

I'm leaving this afternoon, and I will be back on the 8th (very late).

Why don't you figure out what machine you want to put it on, get the ram
situation worked out, and sometime during the week of the 9th we could
do the install. We could either report on it at the meeting, or for that
matter, we could make the meeting out of the installation. It doesn't
matter to me. You do have a DSL at dreamcolor, and that's what the
current server is on, right? What is the current server running? Do you
want to move web and email to the same box? Is that box also doing
ipmasquerading (NAT), or do you have multiple IP addresses?

And, if your company wouldn't spring for the support contract from
e-smith, I would *DEFINITELY* recommend that you go with a standard
Debian stable install -- that's going to be relatively uniform across
all debian stable machines. This means that the problems you might
encounter are probably already documented and solved. I'm sure that
e-smith's installed base is significantly smaller compared to that of
Debian potato.

I have not configured postfix for use with anything, much less procmail
or mailman -- does anyone have any experience or comparison information?

Or for that matter a POP3 daemon that you like so that we have a place
to start?

pedro

http://tastytronic.net/ufo/  --------------- Users of Free OS Chicago
http://robotfindskitten.org/ ---------------    Free Software Zen Sim