[UFO Chicago] e-mail help update 2

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:53:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00B5_01C10081.67FA4280

Well Peter, I wish i would have been able to take you up on your most =
generous offer last night, but a previous and longstanding engagement =
had priority... any fans of Public Radio in Chicago probably know about =
the live taping last night of "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me" and I was =
there.  I do intend to be at the next several hundred meeting though.

So in answer to your question Peter about what's so good about =
e-smith... mostly just the down and dirty (presumed) ease of use and set =
up.  It would be a quick fix to a situation and that's about it.  The =
price for support is about $600 for a year, but they'll send you an eval =
CD no charge (and no support of course), and I've already downloaded an =
ISO and burned it but have yet to try booting anything with it.  I doubt =
I could get my company to pay the $600 for something they take for =
granted (e-mail) but if I could get the system up and running it might =
sway them.

Setting up anything else, well I would need help.  So Peter, when are =
you leaving?  It wouldn't be a big deal to set up these accounts with my =
ISP for a couple weeks, but I do need to get rid of them. =20

I am glad to know that I was dead on right about what I needed to tell =
my ISP, but what about as a back up incase my server goes down?  It's =
pretty standard for them to offer that if I make it clear that's what I =
want right?  After all it's Summer in ComEd land were sort on UPS here, =
though I can sneak a small one in to ward off drops.

dreamcolor.com and ftp.dreamcolor.com point to the same machine here, =
but yes thomas@dreamcolor.com points to my ISP's mail system.  There's =
not much need for anyone to be able to check mail outside of the office, =
but it could come up (mostly with me).

As far as hardware goes, I have a P1 MHz unknown on the floor by my feet =
now.  RAM might be an issue, but I think I can scrounge some up.  I =
belive the drive is SCSI, probably an Adaptec control card inside (I =
probably need to actually look...), but I can most likely snag an IDE =
from something.

We also have a fairly big DEC Alpha box here that we may or may not get =
to keep (it might be part of a trade for something newer).  It has NT on =
it now, but if we get to keep it I'd like to turn it into a www/ftp/mail =
server.  Anybody here have much experience with the Alpha?

Well guys, that's it for the moment, but I'll let you all know how it =
goes.

And Peter, if (and when) we can do this I'd be greatful and amazed and =
will readily supply you with food and beverages and verbal praise and =
looks of awe.

Thanks all

Tom

------=_NextPart_000_00B5_01C10081.67FA4280

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well Peter, I wish i would have been =
able to take=20
you up on your most generous offer last night, but a previous and =
longstanding=20
engagement had priority... any fans of Public Radio in Chicago probably =
know=20
about the live taping last night of "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me" and I =
was=20
there.&nbsp; I do intend to be at the next several hundred meeting=20
though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So in answer to your question Peter =
about what's so=20
good about e-smith... mostly just the down and dirty (presumed) ease of =
use and=20
set up.&nbsp; It would be a quick fix to a situation and that's about =
it.&nbsp;=20
The price for support is about $600 for a year, but they'll send you an =
eval CD=20
no charge (and no support of course), and I've already downloaded an ISO =
and=20
burned it but have yet to try booting anything with it.&nbsp; I doubt I =
could=20
get my company to pay the $600 for something they take for granted =
(e-mail) but=20
if I could get the system up and running it might sway =
them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Setting up anything else, well I would =
need=20
help.&nbsp; So Peter, when are you leaving?&nbsp; It wouldn't be a big =
deal to=20
set up these accounts with my ISP for a couple weeks, but I do need to =
get rid=20
of them.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am glad to know that I was dead on =
right about=20
what&nbsp;I needed to tell my ISP, but what about as a back up incase my =
server=20
goes down?&nbsp; It's pretty standard for them to offer that if I make =
it clear=20
that's what I want right?&nbsp; After all it's Summer in ComEd land were =
sort on=20
UPS here, though I can sneak a small one in to ward off =
drops.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>dreamcolor.com and <A=20
href=3D"ftp://ftp.dreamcolor.com">ftp.dreamcolor.com</A> point to the =
same machine=20
here, but yes <A =
href=3D"mailto:thomas@dreamcolor.com">thomas@dreamcolor.com</A>=20
points to my ISP's mail system.&nbsp; There's not much need for anyone =
to be=20
able to check mail outside of the office, but it could come up (mostly =
with=20
me).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As far as hardware goes, I have&nbsp;a =
P1 MHz=20
unknown on the floor by my feet now.&nbsp; RAM might be an issue, but I =
think I=20
can scrounge some up.&nbsp; I belive the drive is SCSI, probably an =
Adaptec=20
control card inside (I probably need to actually look...), but I can =
most likely=20
snag an IDE from something.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We also have a fairly big DEC Alpha box =
here that=20
we may or may not get to keep (it might be part of a trade for something =

newer).&nbsp; It has NT on it now, but if we get to keep it I'd like to =
turn it=20
into a www/ftp/mail server.&nbsp; Anybody here have much experience with =
the=20
Alpha?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well guys, that's it for the moment, =
but I'll let=20
you all know how it goes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And Peter, if (and when) we can do this =
I'd be=20
greatful and amazed and will readily supply you with food and beverages =
and=20
verbal praise and looks of awe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B5_01C10081.67FA4280--