[UFO Chicago] e-mail help

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:04:19 -0500

Quoting Nate Riffe:
> Some other choices are exim (the Debian default),

> qmail (world's most secure MTA, written by Dan J
> Bernstein, world's most paranoid security freak

(a-hem)

Anyway, exim -- I had 0 problems installing it *right* out of the Debian
Package. My good friend Nick Moffitt has some great hooks from exim to
procmail (for mail filtering, etc. (i.e., this mailing list has it's own
automatic mailbox)), and it's fully backwards compatible with sendmail.
And i haven't had an exim security update in a long time. (But even if I
did, apt-get would quash it in a flash!)

Tom, I really think you should set up a Debian GNU/Linux box on some
decent PC hardware and learn to administer it. You could start with exim
or postfix, then put apache on there, then mailman etc., etc. e-smith
sounds like a pretty cool use of/for free software, but I would
seriously wonder about security, updates, et al. Plus, if you DIY*, then
you've DIY and You Know How. Also, then you're *only* paying for the
hardware. (Of course, then you don't have a support contract, either...)

See you tonight --

pedro

* Do It Yourself