[UFO Chicago] e-mail help

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:58:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FFEB.2C0079C0

Ok guys, my lack of knowledge is by now pretty commonly known (I flaunt =
it enough), and normally I'd prefer to look stuff up for myself and try =
to figure it out, but now I'm in a bit of a bind.

In short I have an ISP who generally is reliable, but their mail server =
is not.  I've been asked to set up 3 new accounts, and change two, and =
I'm tired of outages with the ISP's System.  So I want to put in my own =
in house mail server.  I've taken a quick look and "e-smith" looks more =
or less like what I want... easy to set up and maintain (or so they =
claim) and I can always fall back to a Mac solution until I actually get =
it up and running.  So my question is this... what do I REALLY have to =
do to direct mail for my companies domain (dreamcolor.com) into my =
server?  Is it really as simple as calling my provider and telling them =
what IP address to send it to?  What else do I need to know?  I hate to =
put requests like this out there, but I only have about 24 hours to have =
a system up and running.  Any help would be appreciated... but if it =
gets too technical I'm libel to tilt my head from side to side like some =
poor mutt while I read it.

Thanks in advance guys,

Tom

by the way... www.e-smith.com if you're interested in reading about it =
from the maker, or =
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/linux_review/0046.html to read a =
review.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FFEB.2C0079C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ok guys, my lack of knowledge is by now =
pretty=20
commonly known (I flaunt it enough), and normally I'd prefer to look =
stuff up=20
for myself and try to figure it out, but now I'm in a bit of a=20
bind.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In short I have an ISP who generally is =
reliable,=20
but their mail server is not.&nbsp; I've been asked to set up 3 new =
accounts,=20
and change two, and I'm tired of outages with the ISP's System.&nbsp; So =
I want=20
to put in my own in house mail server.&nbsp; I've taken a quick look and =

"e-smith" looks more or less like what I want... easy to set up and =
maintain (or=20
so they claim) and I can always fall back to a Mac solution until I =
actually get=20
it up and running.&nbsp; So my question is this... what do I REALLY have =
to do=20
to direct mail for my companies domain (dreamcolor.com) into my =
server?&nbsp; Is=20
it really as simple as calling my provider and telling them what IP =
address to=20
send it to?&nbsp; What else do I need to know?&nbsp; I hate to put =
requests like=20
this out there, but I only have about 24 hours to have a system up and=20
running.&nbsp; Any help would be appreciated... but if it gets too =
technical I'm=20
libel to tilt my head from side to side like some poor mutt while I read =

it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance guys,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>by the way... <A=20
href=3D"http://www.e-smith.com">www.e-smith.com</A> if you're interested =
in=20
reading about it from the maker, or <A=20
href=3D"http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/linux_review/0046.html">htt=
p://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/linux_review/0046.html</A>&nbsp;to=20
read a review.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FFEB.2C0079C0--