[UFO Chicago] Apple hires chief evangelist for FreeBSD

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:34:24 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FE33.F33A5F10

  Just relaying this for any who may not of heard...

  Jordan Hubbard, release engineer and chief evangelist on the FreeBSD =
project, has been hired by Apple to help with Darwin development and =
encourage a working relationship between Apple and the open source =
community

  Dear members of the FreeBSD community,=20
  As many of you know, I've spent the last 7 years working at Walnut =
Creek CDROM, BSDi and, for the last 3 months, WindRiver Systems as a =
general FreeBSD evangelist and product manager for the FreeBSD CDROM =
product line. That work has certainly been important to the community =
and it's been very satisfying to see FreeBSD products appear on store =
shelves and on web sites, to say nothing of the many thousands of CDs =
we've been able to make available to schools and people doing FreeBSD =
promotional events. We've also gone from being just one person working =
on FreeBSD releases to a small team which also works on FreeBSD =
infrastructural support and "focused efforts" like the SMPng project. By =
any metric given the economic situation these days, FreeBSD's progress =
has been very strong and it's been my privilege to be able to work with =
so many talented people in enhancing its commercial potential. It's my =
sincere hope that WindRiver will continue these initiatives as well as =
providing unique and significant value of its own to the FreeBSD =
community.=20

  Those who've been following my writings about and general enthusiasm =
for Apple's OS X lately also won't be surprised by the news that I'm =
going to work for Apple Computer. Ever since Apple released the initial =
public Beta, I've been following OS X's progress with great interest and =
an increasing desire to get involved with it somehow. For those who've =
been living under a rock this last year, OS X has finally managed to =
achieve what's been something of a holy grail for the Unix community - =
take a powerful Unix core (BSD) and mate it with a usable desktop, GUI =
development tools and some real applications, all without sacrificing =
access to the underlying features of Unix. Apple has even bundled tools =
like PERL and EMACS as part of the base system, proving that they're =
more than willing to appeal to the techies out there as well as the =
general consumer who may never get past the desktop. From the Open =
Source perspective, Apple is also making a strong play with Darwin, the =
core OS component of OS X. Full sources are available to the general =
public and Apple is making full use of CVS and other tools which will =
help keep the development process coherent, just as FreeBSD has done. =
For a "day job", I really couldn't ask for a better combination of open =
source community work and cutting-edge commercial development which will =
help me expand my horizons and hopefully learn more about the =
intricacies of user interface/human factors engineering. I expect both =
to help me significantly in the FreeBSD work I will also continue to do. =
Which brings us to the next topic: "What does this mean for FreeBSD?"=20

  Let me assure you all that Apple does fully understand the importance =
of FreeBSD and they don't want me or anyone else to stop working on it. =
FreeBSD doesn't compete with Apple's product offerings in any way and =
provides an excellent source of technology for them. Darwin is =
substantially based on FreeBSD 3.2 and Apple certainly doesn't want the =
technology transfer to end there or to be strictly one-way. Part of my =
mandate will in fact be helping Apple to be an even better Open Source =
citizen, increasing collaboration and strengthening relationships with =
FreeBSD and other Open Source projects.=20

  With the release of OS X, Apple will literally be the largest Unix =
vendor on the planet. They take this very seriously, and realize that =
their involvement with the Open Source community is a critical component =
of their success. They've also been very good about giving FreeBSD =
credit for its contributions during their presentations and on their web =
site, so this is far from being just another (usual) case of someone =
taking FreeBSD and burying it deep into some completely closed-source =
product. Apple is proud of its BSD-derived technology and it's not =
afraid to say so, something which removes a lot of the concern over a =
potential conflict of interest from my shoulders. I think that an =
expanded relationship between FreeBSD and its "sister" project Darwin =
can only be to the benefit of both groups. If you think about it, our =
"mandates" are essentially identical: To provide BSD technology to the =
mass market and work on making it as approachable and robust as =
possible. Only the types of hardware each focuses on are different, and =
in areas where there's overlap (USB, firewire, etc) we can certainly do =
our best to collaborate.=20

  As has probably already become rather obvious, I'm very excited to be =
joining Apple and look forward to working with some fascinating people =
and products. Wearing my "FreeBSD.org hat", I will also continue to =
support WindRiver's efforts in any way I can to ensure that the FreeBSD =
product line there continues and that FreeBSD can continue to be a =
solution which is broadly applicable to a wide array of markets. The =
FreeBSD product line has reached the stage where I feel comfortable =
taking a job which allows me to focus more on Darwin. While I have =
enjoyed my time working with the people and projects at BSDi and =
WindRiver, I simply couldn't resist the opportunity of working at Apple. =

  Sincerely,=20

  - Jordan

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FE33.F33A5F10

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Just relaying this for any who may not of=20
  heard...</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D-1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Jordan Hubbard, release engineer and chief =
evangelist on=20
  the <A href=3D"http://www.freebsd.org/">FreeBSD project</A>, has been =
hired by=20
  Apple to help with Darwin development and encourage a working =
relationship=20
  between Apple and the open source community</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D-1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Dear members of the FreeBSD community, </DIV>
  <P>As many of you know, I've spent the last 7 years working at Walnut =
Creek=20
  CDROM, BSDi and, for the last 3 months, WindRiver Systems as a general =
FreeBSD=20
  evangelist and product manager for the FreeBSD CDROM product line. =
That work=20
  has certainly been important to the community and it's been very =
satisfying to=20
  see FreeBSD products appear on store shelves and on web sites, to say =
nothing=20
  of the many thousands of CDs we've been able to make available to =
schools and=20
  people doing FreeBSD promotional events. We've also gone from being =
just one=20
  person working on FreeBSD releases to a small team which also works on =
FreeBSD=20
  infrastructural support and "focused efforts" like the SMPng project. =
By any=20
  metric given the economic situation these days, FreeBSD's progress has =
been=20
  very strong and it's been my privilege to be able to work with so many =

  talented people in enhancing its commercial potential. It's my sincere =
hope=20
  that WindRiver will continue these initiatives as well as providing =
unique and=20
  significant value of its own to the FreeBSD community.=20
  <P>Those who've been following my writings about and general =
enthusiasm for=20
  Apple's OS X lately also won't be surprised by the news that I'm going =
to work=20
  for Apple Computer. Ever since Apple released the initial public Beta, =
I've=20
  been following OS X's progress with great interest and an increasing =
desire to=20
  get involved with it somehow. For those who've been living under a =
rock this=20
  last year, OS X has finally managed to achieve what's been something =
of a holy=20
  grail for the Unix community - take a powerful Unix core (BSD) and =
mate it=20
  with a usable desktop, GUI development tools and some real =
applications, all=20
  without sacrificing access to the underlying features of Unix. Apple =
has even=20
  bundled tools like PERL and EMACS as part of the base system, proving =
that=20
  they're more than willing to appeal to the techies out there as well =
as the=20
  general consumer who may never get past the desktop. From the Open =
Source=20
  perspective, Apple is also making a strong play with Darwin, the core =
OS=20
  component of OS X. Full sources are available to the general public =
and Apple=20
  is making full use of CVS and other tools which will help keep the =
development=20
  process coherent, just as FreeBSD has done. For a "day job", I really =
couldn't=20
  ask for a better combination of open source community work and =
cutting-edge=20
  commercial development which will help me expand my horizons and =
hopefully=20
  learn more about the intricacies of user interface/human factors =
engineering.=20
  I expect both to help me significantly in the FreeBSD work I will also =

  continue to do. Which brings us to the next topic: "What does this =
mean for=20
  FreeBSD?"=20
  <P>Let me assure you all that Apple does fully understand the =
importance of=20
  FreeBSD and they don't want me or anyone else to stop working on it. =
FreeBSD=20
  doesn't compete with Apple's product offerings in any way and provides =
an=20
  excellent source of technology for them. Darwin is substantially based =
on=20
  FreeBSD 3.2 and Apple certainly doesn't want the technology transfer =
to end=20
  there or to be strictly one-way. Part of my mandate will in fact be =
helping=20
  Apple to be an even better Open Source citizen, increasing =
collaboration and=20
  strengthening relationships with FreeBSD and other Open Source =
projects.=20
  <P>With the release of OS X, Apple will literally be the largest Unix =
vendor=20
  on the planet. They take this very seriously, and realize that their=20
  involvement with the Open Source community is a critical component of =
their=20
  success. They've also been very good about giving FreeBSD credit for =
its=20
  contributions during their presentations and on their web site, so =
this is far=20
  from being just another (usual) case of someone taking FreeBSD and =
burying it=20
  deep into some completely closed-source product. Apple is proud of its =

  BSD-derived technology and it's not afraid to say so, something which =
removes=20
  a lot of the concern over a potential conflict of interest from my =
shoulders.=20
  I think that an expanded relationship between FreeBSD and its "sister" =
project=20
  Darwin can only be to the benefit of both groups. If you think about =
it, our=20
  "mandates" are essentially identical: To provide BSD technology to the =
mass=20
  market and work on making it as approachable and robust as possible. =
Only the=20
  types of hardware each focuses on are different, and in areas where =
there's=20
  overlap (USB, firewire, etc) we can certainly do our best to =
collaborate.=20
  <P>As has probably already become rather obvious, I'm very excited to =
be=20
  joining Apple and look forward to working with some fascinating people =
and=20
  products. Wearing my "FreeBSD.org hat", I will also continue to =
support=20
  WindRiver's efforts in any way I can to ensure that the FreeBSD =
product line=20
  there continues and that FreeBSD can continue to be a solution which =
is=20
  broadly applicable to a wide array of markets. The FreeBSD product =
line has=20
  reached the stage where I feel comfortable taking a job which allows =
me to=20
  focus more on Darwin. While I have enjoyed my time working with the =
people and=20
  projects at BSDi and WindRiver, I simply couldn't resist the =
opportunity of=20
  working at Apple.=20
  <P>Sincerely,=20
  <P>- Jordan</FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0FE33.F33A5F10--