[UFO Chicago] New member

Nate Riffe inkblot@geocities.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:24:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Tom Printy wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	Just getting into the fray as far as 802.11 is concerned. I am
> interested in at least getting my little apartment wireless and am
> wondering what a good choice for a WAP would be. I am looking at the
> linksys WAP11.  I also thought that I could build my own but don't have
> any spare equipment available. I eventaully would like to share my iDSL
> connection with others but would like to limit access bandwidth sonce I
> also run my radio station off of this connection (looking at other
> solutions) Please let me know what you guys think the best equipment is.
> And if you want take a look at my on-line radio station!
>

> Thanks
> -Tom

Seattle Wireless has a wonderful list of specs for various make and
models.  It's at http://www.seattlewireless/index.cgi?HardwareComparison . I
would recommend getting cards with an external adapter and 100 mw
transmitter power.  You may not need the external plug now, but if you
plan on joining a community network, you will.

Off the top of my head I don't recall the specs for the Linksys WAP11.  I
remember thinking the older Compaq card looked very nice, but the one I
liked has been discontinued and the new one has no external plug.  For me,
it's especially hard because I'm looking for a PCI card with 100 mw power
and an external plug for under $200.  I have different plans for the
cards, though.  I plan on keeping my cat 5 and using the wireless cards
exclusively for community networking.

The reason I'm anxious to go out and building some antennas is so that we
can experiment.  I don't think we need much in the way of planning in
order to do that.  I we can take a couple of laptops out to the lakefront
with a pair of antennas and do some decent distance testing.  It will give
some of us radio novices some experience and we'll also probably get some
good data on various antenna combinations and how well they work.

-Nate
--

Nate Riffe			Bring me a selection of the finest meats