Fw: [UFO Chicago] Social Life

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:48:51 -0500

Quoting Peter:

> It would have to be a worthy movie. Have you heard of any of them
> lately?

Sadly, no.  Planet of the Apes looks interesting, inspite of Marky Mark, but
that a ways off.  But that's the nice thing about midnight shows, they
aren't always current, even though they seem to be this week.

> It'd be cool to have a Chicago Free Software Summit at Giordano's or
> something like that, where we could reserve a room. Reservations are not
> a big deal, if we can get an idea of how many people are coming.

That would be interesting.  I like your use of the word "summit", feels like
we should be holding it in Geneva.  Improve the world with free software.
"Microsoft gives you the power to help distribute food to the starving
masses of your nation... of course you can't afford the food right now
because you had to buy a 1000 seat software licence for your server (even
though you only needed 502) not to mention the client software for your
relief workers... Free Software, who do you want to feed today?"  and that
sort of thing.

> I think it would be cool for UFO to organize large-scale events like
> this; (albeit smaller scale than great america) it could really provide
> our group with a name and a presence, not to mention attract users. And
> it can't be THAT hard to handle.

No, that seems like a pretty reasonable setting.  What would topics include,
and who do you think we can get to talk?

Tom