[UFO Chicago] open gl dependencies...

Paul Suda paul@manufaxure.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:45:34 -0500

On 2001.06.15 00:14:06 -0500 Peter A. Peterson II wrote:
> What Open GL dependencies is it looking for? I've tried installing a
> number of packages, but it doesn't seem to be meeting the deps for
> Clockwork. Perhaps if I know what it wanted...
>
> Peter
>
> PS: I figured we could just use this space for now...

Thanks for trying out Clockwork. This was something I was worried might be
a problem for some people. Is it giving out the trouble when you run
./configure, or when you run make to build it? What messages are you
getting when and before it fails?

It requires GL and GLX to be installed, you will most likely want to use
MesaGL if you are installing on Linux. MesaGL is available as a package
with most distributions or from http://mesa3d.org/. You will need to make
sure that both the libraries and the header files are installed. Version
should not be a big issue. Clockwork should build fine even with older
versions of Mesa or any other GL implementation

To check for the library files, look in /usr/lib, /usr/X11/lib, and
/usr/local/lib. See if you can find files named libGL.so and libGLU.so in
one of those directories. They may also be named libMesaGL.so and
libMesaGLU.so instead.

To check for the header files, look in /usr/include/GL, /usr/X11/include,
and /usr/local/include/GL. You should see these files in one of those
directories:
gl.h glu.h glx.h glext.h

When installing from a Linux distrbution disk, the shared library files and
header files may be in different packages. The shared libraries are usually
in a package called something like "MesaGL" ("mesa" on SuSE), the header
files are often in a package called something like "Mesa Developer files"
("mesadev" on SuSE). Try installing the developer files for the Mesa
library if you are missing the header files.

It is possible that when you installed MesaGL, it installed the headers and
libraries under a different directory, like /usr/local/GL or
/usr/local/MesaGL. Check under these directories for the files above if you
don't find them elsewhere.

Once you verify that these files are installed on your system. Try running
./configure and make again. If you are still having problems, please let me
know and we'll try to figure something out.

This may require a little troubleshooting. I might need to adjust the
configure.in file. I havn't tested the configure script in the distribution
on very many machines, so we might have to work out some bugs.

thanks,
paul