[UFO Chicago] dpkg --reconfigure

Nate Riffe inkblot@geocities.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:26:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:

> Quoting Nate Riffe:
> > Hey Debian gurus, I need a hand.  I have some installed packages that need
> > to be reconfigured.  There is no such thing as 'dpkg --reconfigure' or
> > similar aparatus.  Does anyone have any suggestions before I go into
> > /var/lib/dpkg/status and manually change these packages' status to
> > 'unpacked'?
>
> >From /usr/doc/debconf/userguide.html:
>
> > Reconfiguring a package
> >
> > One of the first things you will probably want to use debconf for is to
> > reconfigure a package. You installed the package, and answered debconf's
> > questions, but now that you've used it a while, you realize you want to
> > package was often the thing to do when you got in this situation, but
> > when you reinstall the package, debconf seem to remember you have
> > answered the questions, and doesn't ask them again.
> >
> > Luckily, debconf makes it easy to reconfigure any package that uses it.
> > Say you want to reconfigure debconf itself. Just run, as root:
> >
> >     dpkg-reconfigure --priority=medium debconf
> >
> > This will ask all the questions you saw when debconf was first
> > installed. You can use it on any other package that uses debconf, as
> > well.

What I really need it to do is reinstall the configuration files.  For
instance, /etc/init.d/single is installed by sysvinit as a configuration
file.  According to the dpkg man page, unpacking the guts of a package and
unpacking defaut configs are separate and the latter is part of the
"configure" step.  dpkg-reconfigure is not reinstalling config files, only
asking the questions over again.  What I'm looking for is some way to get
the default configs out of a deb and back where they belong.

-Nate