[UFO Chicago] SuSE for Alpha and other ramblings... note for Paul too...

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:28:10 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C10B86.83E1EFB0

Oh happy day...

After years of trouble with a P.O.S. DataGeneral server running DGUX, my =
boss may have finally been swayed.  We are trashing it for Linux.  The =
only downside is that it's going on a DEC Alpha, so things may not be as =
straight forward as an Intel box.

The only Dist. I know of for Alpha is SuSE, though I'm sure everyone =
else has one (or will have one), but since the software we really need =
to run on it is also German (Helios OPI and Helios Ethershare) I believe =
the two (SuSE and Helios) may work well together.  Any thoughts about =
that?

Anyway, since this is a work project I can probably bring in outside =
help and I can't think of anyone more qualified for a SuSE install than =
our own Paul.  So Paul, if you read this and you're at all interested, =
e-mail with your rates and schedule and we'll try to work something out, =
and if you're not interested that's ok too.  Other options may be me =
bringing the box somewhere and maybe doing it as a group project.  As it =
stands this machine isn't being used for anthing and my bosses feeling =
is "so what if you f*** it up".  That's about as much encouragement as =
we ever get around here.

Any comments, concerns, complaints?

Probably not the best use of the UFO forum.

Tom

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C10B86.83E1EFB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh happy day...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After years of trouble with a P.O.S. =
DataGeneral=20
server running DGUX, my boss may have finally been swayed.&nbsp; We are =
trashing=20
it for Linux.&nbsp; The only downside is that it's going on a DEC Alpha, =
so=20
things may not be as straight forward as an Intel box.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only Dist. I know of for Alpha is =
SuSE, though=20
I'm sure everyone else has one (or will have one), but since the =
software we=20
really need to run on it is also German (Helios OPI and Helios =
Ethershare) I=20
believe the two (SuSE and Helios) may work well together.&nbsp; Any =
thoughts=20
about that?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, since this is a work project I =
can probably=20
bring in outside help and I can't think of anyone more qualified for a =
SuSE=20
install than our own Paul.&nbsp; So Paul, if you read this and you're at =
all=20
interested, e-mail with your rates and schedule and we'll try to work =
something=20
out, and if you're not interested that's ok too.&nbsp; Other options may =
be me=20
bringing the box somewhere and maybe doing it as a group project.&nbsp; =
As it=20
stands this machine isn't being used for anthing and my bosses feeling =
is "so=20
what if you f*** it up".&nbsp; That's about as much encouragement as we =
ever get=20
around here.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any comments, concerns, =
complaints?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Probably not the best use of the UFO=20
forum.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C10B86.83E1EFB0--