[UFO Chicago] Enduser Journal #4

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:40:39 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C1093D.86862D80

Don't want anyone to think I've given up on this, time has been kind =
tight lately and I haven't had a lot of time to play, but here's where =
things stand...

I finally got Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 up and running on my Mac Cube (have I =
ever said how glad I am it isn't called the "cube"?).  The biggest hold =
up was a video setting and my lack of quote marks in the proper place =
when putting it in... things like this cause serious problems for =
newbies like me.  My first impressions of it (now that it's running) are =
pretty grim.  Although I was able to get it to network using the built =
in AirPort card (802.11) easily enough (good documentation on their =
website for this), their update app still doesn't work (I had had =
problems with it on a PowerBook too).  It seems to run fine, connects to =
their ftp site, and then just bombs out when looking up package info.  =
Also under KDE, the Konquor (spelling?) Browser is about as stable as... =
well nothing, at all.  I've used it under SuSE and it was fine so it's =
got to be their build (I'm guessing).  So while they were fun for a bit =
I think I'll try something else...=20

Debian perhaps?  I've downloaded and burned a few (3 to be exact) Debian =
.iso's for PowerPC and since Debian seems to have pretty good support in =
the UFO and my reading on it has all been extremely positive, although =
I'm hearing it isn't overly newbie friendly.  But good help and support =
should make up for that right?

So I'll spend a bit of time looking at my new CD's to see if I burned =
them right and go from there.

In other reading/research, I've mentioned in previous post that I MAY =
(or may not) have an SGI Octane to play with.  I won't have a lot of use =
for it, but I'd definitely like to turn it into a Linux box and probably =
use if for ftp and some image storage.  I haven't found a lot of support =
for it until today... it seems Debian (yes, it's the flavor of the day) =
is working on a port to run on the MIPS Proc. type, which would include =
my Octane.  How close are they?  Hard for my to judge but if it =
interests any of you guys http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/ is the main =
link.  If it looks like I do get to keep the Octane, even if just for a =
little while, and any of you feel like playing with it, let me know and =
we'll figure something out.

Sort of related to this ongoing post, I sent out a little S.O.S. for =
help setting up a mail server to the UFO mailing list.  The response I =
got was great, and included offers of help setting up the system (which =
assuming those offers are still open I intend to take advantage of).  =
The details of how that goes will be the subject of a future post.

So this post was a little long winded to cover only a few points, and =
none in detail, but we'll clear that up next time with a summary of =
what's been accomplished up to this (or that, depending on what else =
gets done) point.

Until next time,

Tom

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C1093D.86862D80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Don't want anyone to think I've given =
up on this,=20
time has been kind tight lately and I haven't had a lot of time to play, =
but=20
here's where things stand...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I finally got Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 up =
and running=20
on my Mac Cube (have I ever said how glad I am it isn't called the=20
"cube"?).&nbsp; The biggest hold up was a video setting and my lack of =
quote=20
marks in the proper place when putting it in... things like this cause =
serious=20
problems for newbies like me.&nbsp; My first impressions of it (now that =
it's=20
running) are pretty grim.&nbsp; Although I was able to get it to network =
using=20
the built in AirPort card (802.11) easily enough (good documentation on =
their=20
website for this), their update app still doesn't work (I had had =
problems with=20
it on a PowerBook too).&nbsp; It seems to run fine, connects to their =
ftp site,=20
and then just bombs out when looking up package info.&nbsp; Also under =
KDE, the=20
Konquor (spelling?) Browser is about as stable as... well nothing, at =
all.&nbsp;=20
I've used it under SuSE and it was fine so it's got to be their build =
(I'm=20
guessing).&nbsp; So while they were fun for a bit I think I'll try =
something=20
else... </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Debian perhaps?&nbsp; I've downloaded =
and burned a=20
few (3 to be exact) Debian .iso's for PowerPC and since Debian seems to =
have=20
pretty good support in the UFO and my reading on it has all been =
extremely=20
positive, although I'm hearing it isn't overly newbie friendly.&nbsp; =
But good=20
help and support should make up for that right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So I'll spend a bit of time looking at =
my new CD's=20
to see if I burned them right and go from there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In other reading/research, I've =
mentioned in=20
with.&nbsp; I=20
won't have a lot of use for it, but I'd definitely like to turn it into =
a Linux=20
box and probably use if for ftp and some image storage.&nbsp; I haven't =
found a=20
lot of support for it until today... it seems Debian (yes, it's the =
flavor of=20
the day) is working on a port to run on the MIPS Proc. type, which would =
include=20
my Octane.&nbsp; How close are they?&nbsp; Hard for my to judge but if =
it=20
interests any of you guys <A=20
href=3D"http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/">http://www.debian.org/ports/mi=
ps/</A>&nbsp;is=20
the main link.&nbsp; If it looks like I do get to keep the Octane, even =
if just=20
for a little while, and any of you feel like playing with it, let me =
know and=20
we'll figure something out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sort of related to this ongoing post, I =
sent out a=20
little S.O.S. for help setting up a mail server to the UFO mailing =
list.&nbsp;=20
The response I got was great, and included offers of help setting up the =
system=20
(which assuming those offers are still open I intend to take advantage=20
of).&nbsp; The details of how that goes will be the subject of a future=20
post.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So this post was a little long winded =
to cover only=20
a few points, and none in detail, but we'll clear that up next time with =
a=20
summary of what's been accomplished up to this (or that, depending on =
what else=20
gets done) point.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Until next time,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C1093D.86862D80--