[UFO Chicago] TRON Special Edition 20th Anniversary DVD

Jack Beglinger jackb_guppy@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:28:21 -0600

> > > It's not like buying a 20-year old car.  It's the same movie it ever
> > > was, and with better picture and sound quality than any VHS tape.

But it is...

R & D has been recouped many times over.  The cost to make a car is X and
they sell for Y.  On high end vehicles they are making big $$$ in the range of
25% to 50% over cost.  But on low end they make close $0.  They want to
sell more low end - more fuel effisent so they fleet average has a higher Miles
/ Gallon.

For a DVD, the R&D is making the movie. The cost to make it is X and they
sell for Y.  Hot movies they try to sell for higher price to get an overall return
on investment of %%%.  If sell or give my DVD to someone else the movie
studios do not get a cut.  Same as with a car or book.

Now if you have hard time about buying a DVD...

What about software on CD?   Or Music?

Do you ever wonder why 99% of all CDs only has ten songs on them, when a
CD under normal storage could handle almost twice that?  This was to
support the LP market.  Thank Columbia Records (or Recordings) who
brought the CD recording and manufacturing to the US.  They set the
standard to support the LP business which they also did.

===
Now for the geek question: I have TRON on CCD.  RCA stopped producing
them 15+ years ago.  What does CCD stand for?

jackb