[UFO Chicago] [greg@kroah.com: [CrackMonkey] [dave@farber.net : IP: U.S. DoD [seems to be djf] looking for pro-Sklyarov pages?]]

Nate Riffe inkblot@geocities.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:38:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:

> Quoting Mills Reece-RMILLS1:
> > WHOA! That's creepy dude.  I hate to see this kind of stuff from our
> > government.  Where will it end?  So Much Injustice comes from our
> > politicians and GA's.  It is down right scarry.  Remember Phiber Optik back
> > in the 80's and the "Sensitive AT&T E911 document?  And the kid that ran a
> > BBS Magazine *Phrack* (I think?) getting railroaded?  Did you post this to
> > LUNI yet?  If it were me I believe that I would disseminate this info as
>
> Well, the jury is still out on whether we're actually being scanned
> for it or not. It may just be a bot on the loose. (I don't think so,
> though.)
>
> What's the AT&T E911 document? And what about Phrack?

The E911 document was a document that described the management structure
of the 911 emergency phone system.  It was found by black hats on a
BellSouth ESS5 switch by a cracker group in Atlanta (Legion of Doom, in
fact, last I knew, www.lod.com was still alive, having turned themselves
into consultants about sever or eight years ago), and was spread around
the underground for a few months (strictly as a trophy, it contained
almost no technical information about the 911 system).  It eventually made
its way into the hands of Taran King of St. Louis, MO, by way of Terminus
("king of NYNEX") and Phiber Optik.  He published it in Phrack Magazine
and got hauled into court.  Strictly speaking, it was a copyright
violation and he was liable for that, but BellSouth claimed that the
document was worth some outrageously huge amount of money.  Later
investigation uncovered that they included the price of the terminal and
mainframe on which the document was composed... go figure.

Anyway, point is guys were strung up on the line for questionable, but not
dangerous, activities.

Bruce Sterling wrote a very good book about the whole episode and other
turn-of-the-decade antics called  _The_Hacker_Crackdown_.