[UFO Chicago] CEO's Report: 08/24/01

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 00:35:20 -0500

Well, it was a good meeting, with the honourable Larry Garfield in
attendance (special guest) and other regulars Elliot Shank and Nate
Riffe also present. Newcomer Jordan Bettis came mid-way through the
meeting and sparked the closest thing to an all-out argument UFO has
seen to date. I felt bad, since it was almost everyone versus Jordan,
but he held his own and we do hope he comes back next time.

He also threatened to bring a BSD user with him next time.

Just kidding, we'd like that, actually.

But it was great -- laid back, Larry expounded upon his brainiac-like
knowledge of the Palm computing platform and talked about hardware
types I never even knew existed. I scribbled on little pieces of
paper.

Nate, as usual, ordered a glass of milk. He's getting to be a regular
at George's. Nate, watch out, George might invite you over to his
table some time for a chat. (Just kidding, that would be an HONOR!)

Once again, a few ideas were kicked around that MUST take place. One
was a field trip to American Science and Surplus. This should probably
be on a Saturday, methinks, with refreshments (at George's?) to
follow. THe other event was a UFO-sponsored showing of the Greatest
Movie Ever Made, the stunning 1982 documentary about a renegade hacker
abducted by an evil proprietary computer system -- TRON. I'm going to
look into reserving the projector and screening room in our new
library (i hope we have one-- the old library does... hmmm) and so
some night we could get together and watch TRON, and maybe get some
pizzas or something like that. I'm open to different dates, except
that I don't think we should do it on a normal meeting day, and that I
think we should invite other LUGs to participate, so we should look at
their calendars too. FOr that matter, we should invite them to the
AmSci field trip. So please, make some suggestions.

I could do next Saturday for the field trip, perhaps.

Your Fearless (but not infallible) leader,

Pedro

         FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV -- http://www.freesklyarov.org/
         In prison for exercising his right to "fair use."