[sklyarov-chicago] 1 Month Protest

The Antiwesley kris@antiwesley.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:25:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Ben Brockert wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Wouldn't the one month anniversary of the arrest be a good date to
> have the next protest?
>
> http://www.freesklyarov.org says that he was arrested July 17th.
> http://www.tabinda.com/freedmitry/free_dmitry_flyer_20010729.html says
> July 16th as does your press release. Either way, August 16th/17th is
> in the timeframe of 'the week of the 13th' and is on Thursday/Friday
> so you'd catch more Chicago workers than tourists.
>
> I think the one month anniversary is important because I think it's
> easier for people to sympathise with 'held for a month' than 'held for
> n days'.
>
> I'm about to start bouncing ideas off Iowa LUG/FUG people to see if I
> can get one going in Des Moines on one of those dates. If not, I'll be
> at the next Chicago one, if the DoJ doesn't solve their rectocranial
> inversion by then.
>
> Ben

As a lurker, just cause I'm so far north, I'd suggest something big.
Something REAL BIG.

I'll be in Chicago that weekend, (the 15th to the 17-18th) at
Wizard World, aka "Chicago Comic Con" at the Rosemont Convention
Center...

If you don't know, this is the largest convention of it's kind in the
Midwest. A lot of people come to this. It's near an EL line as well..
(I stayed once at the Hyatt next door, and although I didn't go on any
trips, I was well informed that it is...)

This could also be a good place, as it's a geek fest. And what better way
to martial forces then to appeal to the geeks!
(and the soccer moms and dads who bring their children to said convention)
I might, if I can clear it with the boss, be able to stick some fliers in
our bags at the convention, as I can prolly just let the boss know that
it's something wrong... no guarantees or promises on it, but I can try.

-Kris, unlurking

"Videogames don't cause violence. I weened my kids on those games. If a
kid's sick, then a kid's sick - he's defective. Get him some help. But
games aren't going to make anybody run out and shoot someone."-R. Lee Ermey