[sklyarov-chicago] Monday Protests Downtown!

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:10:39 -0500

Quoting Michael Cannon:
> I, personally agree with you, but I also, believe that
> the issues that we publicly pursue be as simple as
> possible, in order not to confuse the public.
>
> I believe Pedro, having just returned from meeting
> with the International leadership (or some members
> thereof) is simply trying to accomplish a 'unified
> voice' strategy, in order to present a common face to
> the media and the public.
>
> Other issues, as appropriate can be allied or linked,
> but the organized nature of the effort and an
> organized, consistent message is probably more
> important at this early stage.
>
> That doesn't mean, as Pedro expressed, thtat you can't
> engage in other issues, as they come up, while you're
> conversing with the public tomorrow.

You got it, Mike. I have YET to have a conversation about Dmitry and not
bring up the DMCA and how bad it is. In fact, I had a great conversation
with someone on the plane on the way back from SF. And then this guy in
a suit kept looking at me funny. But I just think that it's more
compelling to people to hear first about Dmitry's plight, and then find
out that the whole reason that he's in jail is because there is a
horrible law on the books that might as easily convict them for copying
a CD or videotape. This is also, incidentally, a good time to talk about
why Adobe's recanting is "not good enough." (Still I think that the DMCA
is the key to that.)

I think, to that end, the majority of our signs, etc., should focus on
Dmitry and not on the DMCA, even though the DMCA will come up in the
literature and within the first 15 seconds of talking about it with
someone.

pedro