Fwd: Re: [sklyarov-chicago] [ssteele@eff.org: Re: Why Mueller? Can You Say 'Pressure Point'?]

Jack Edwards edwardsj1@tastytronic.net
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:38:22 -0500

> PLEASE remember:  Dmitry NEVER had to go to jail.
> Adobe could have protested his entry visa a month
> before DefCon 9 to the State Department and he never
> would have been allowed in the country.  Instead,
> Warnock and company lobbied Mueller (actually,
> probably started with Ashcroft, but we'll NEVER prove
> that without a LOT of FOIA paperwork) for his arrest,
> rather than a writ of exclusion from the State
> Department.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I noticed something when I
printed up the criminal complaint and affidavit yesterday, I had
read it before, but i didn't notice the dates until yesterday. Dmitry
is charged as committing the crime on or about June 28, the day
Elcomsoft stopped selling AEBPR on RegNow. The complaint was signed
by the judge on July 7. The affidavit supporting the complain was
dated July 10. This was an entire week before they arrested Dmitry,
and I assume before he was in the country. Why didn't they stop his
entry in the first place. Also, they knew where he was the whole
time he was here (DefCon), so why did they wait to grab him unitl he
was getting ready to go catch his plane back to Russia?

I'm not trying to pose some sort of conspiracy theory here, but I am
a little confused as to why the DoJ did this the way they did. I
don't know what, if anything, to make of this.

-jack

Jack D. Edwards:             edwardsj1@tastytronic.net
User of Free Software:      http://tastytronic.net/ufo
Aspiring Tech Writer: http://flynn.zork.net/~edwardsj1