[sklyarov-chicago] Protest Organization

Jason P . peleron_2000@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:33:59 -0500

[re: equating ebooks with paper books, using some paper books as a prop]

> It needlessly complicates the issue, leaves us open to
> attack of 'inappropriate examples,' and invalidates
> your arguments concerning other issues (cf. this lis,
> previosus threads dealing with 'Reject  Mueller' and
> 'Boycott Adobe.'  Also, falls into Jack's 'crazy
> ex-hippy leftist' camp.

I guess we just disagree -- I think it's a clear demonstration of a right
(the right of first sale) that people THINK they still have, but actually
don't, if only when it comes to ebooks (for now). My opinion is that it
simplifies the issue by cutting away the technical aspects and focusing
attention on the first amendment, er, "difficulties" of the DMCA.

Part of the problem of explaining what's wrong with the DMCA to
non-techinical folks is that to many it just seems like a big muddle of
hopeless geekery and acronyms. DeCSS, SDMI, blah blah blah .... At best --
to many others, it seems like we're in the wrong because we're "hackers"
who want to "steal" someone's intellectual property. Give those same folks
a concrete example of what is really at stake in their own lives, and they
may see things more clearly.

My opinion, anyway. Getting Dmitry out of jail is the important thing for
now, in any case. The other stuff is somewhat academic until after...

JP