[sklyarov-chicago] Protest Organization

Michael Cannon korbomite@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:52:38 -0700 (PDT)

Answers in-line
--- "Jason P ." <peleron_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2001.07.27 22:12 Michael Cannon wrote:
> > DMCA refers to Digital media...books are exempted,
> > believe...
>
> Yes, but Dmitry is in jail for writing software that
> allows buyers of
> ebooks to do things that seem quite ordinary,
> lending to friends and so on,
> but which are in fact illegal for those ebooks under
> the DMCA. The analogy
> is pretty clear, I think. Hand someone a book, ask
> for a nickle, and say,
> "If this were an e-book, I could go to jail for what
> I just did."

It needlessly complicates the issue, leaves us open to
attack of 'inappropriate examples,' and invalidates
your arguments concerning other issues (cf. this lis,
previosus threads dealing with 'Reject  Mueller' and
'Boycott Adobe.'  Also, falls into Jack's 'crazy
ex-hippy leftist' camp.

Printing source code has already been challenged and
upheld before the Federal Bar in the DeCSS and other
cases, also in the case the EFF is defending vis-a-vis
Mexican complaints under the WIPO in New York
(http://www.eff.org/Censorship/SLAPP/Forum_shopping/BNM_v_Narco_News/20010712_eff_narconews_pr.html).

The source for Dmitry's invention and the DeCSS is
short, sweet and not in any way ambiguous:

Protestor:  Excuse me sir.
John Q. Public: Yes?
P: Have you heard about the Russian programmer who is
currently in jail?
JQP:  yeah...I read about it (saw it on TV)
P:  wanna see how easy it is to break the same law?
JQP:  Huh?
P:  Humour me here...
JQP: OK
P:  Here take this. (Hand them a copy of the Perl
DeCSS source).
JQP:  What is this crap?
P: Here's a nickel, now give me it back.
JQP:  SURE.  Hey, Maude! I just made a nickel off'n
this here geek!
P:  Sir, we are now both Federal felons.  It's that
easy, and that is why that boy is in jail away from
his babies.
JQP:  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  Mommy!!!!!

(sound of sirens and truncheons crunching skulls)

Wack a mole is fun!
FREE DMITRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike