[sklyarov-chicago] IEEE response to my message about the AAPpress release

Sean D. Francis sdf2008@rcnchicago.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:18:16 -0500

Igor Matlin wrote:

> I tend to agree with IEEE's view that not all of DMCA is unconstitutional or even wrong.  Perhaps we should emphasize the anti-circumvention provisions of the law as something we want overturned, and the rest of the law as something we want reviewed and revised.
>
> -Ig.

I am not going to claim I know what the law 'should' be, but I do believe strongly the DMCA needs to be reviewed.  I simply don't understand if violating a copyright is already illegal, why do we need this extra law verbage to get in the way?  It seems simple and
straightforward as it is.

Also, I don't understand why the 5 years in prison has to do with this.  I really thought prison was for people who were too dangerous to be in society. Meanwhile they (the ubiquitous they) claim the prisons are overflowing and rapists are getting paroled after a
year (this might be an exaggeration).

Sean D. Francis
sdf2008@stygianlabyrinth.com