[sklyarov-chicago] IEEE response to my message about the AAP press release

Igor Matlin legalalien@runbox.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:59:19 GMT

> The anticircumvention provisions of the DMCA was just one part of a
> compromise between content providers and content users.  Another part of
> the DMCA was exceptions to copyright infringement liabilities that allow
> the internet to operate without service providers worrying about being
> copyright infringement for actions substantially out of their control.

I tend to agree with IEEE's view that not all of DMCA is unconstitutional o=
r even wrong.  Perhaps we should emphasize the anti-circumvention provision=
s of the law as something we want overturned, and the rest of the law as so=
mething we want reviewed and revised.

-Ig.

Runbox Mail Manager - www.runbox.com
Free online email application