[sklyarov-chicago] Protest Organization

jason pellerin peleron_2000@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:49:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

Delurking to present a possibly dumb idea that just
popped into my head:

> Remember, in leafletting/banner protest (without
> walkabout), the goal is to engage the public in
> discussion/conversation and give them a leaflet,
> while
> getting an agreement from them as to the injustice
> of
> the situation.

That makes me think of how awfully easy it is to
violate the DMCA -- in fact, by passing out a leaflet
that included the source of one of the perl decss
scripts, I think you *would* be violating the DMCA.
And so would the person who took the leaflet,
especially if she showed it to someone else
(trafficking in a circumvention device... )

So would a leaflet that said "DON'T GIVE THIS LEAFLET
AWAY" and included the infringing code and an
explanation of the law the leafletter has just
violated, and the penalties to which the leafletee
could be subject if she "trafficked" as well, be
sensible and good, or not interesting enough to grab
passers-by, or too dangerous for the leafletters, or
just plain dorky... ?

Returning to my lurk,

Jason P.

ps Thanks to the list and protest organizers for all
of their efforts