[sklyarov-chicago] [fegray@npl.uiuc.edu: [DOchsner@beacon.org: AAP opinion on Sklyarov not shared by publishers]]

Laurence O Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:52:11 -0500 (CDT)

Beacon Press.  Haven't heard of them, they must be a smaller company.
That's probably whey they're not pro-DMCA.

Proper course of action now: Ally TIGHTLY with Beacon, whoever they are.
Dissention within the IP ranks can do nothing but help us.  Are we allowed
to fax this to the Trib, Times, et al?  Also, look at FictionWise.com.
They're an ebook publishing company that does not have ANY encryption of
ANY kind on their stuff.  Most of it is in Palm DOC format, which is the
Palm equivalent of Notepad and just as secure.  I've spoken with one of
their founders, and their business is ballooning, despite (or I believe
because of) their lack of encryption or any copy prevention.  We need to
make companies like that more visible, to show that YES, people CAN make
money without violating the Constitution.

There are a few people I want to talk to as well before taking the next
steps.  More on that later.  Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able
to attend the get-together tonight, as I already have plans to meet with
someone else on a completely unrelated matter. :-)  (Y'all need to meet
closer to a train station.)

--Larry Garfield
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu

DePaul Linux Users Group President

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)