[sklyarov-chicago] [fegray@npl.uiuc.edu: [DOchsner@beacon.org: AAP opinion on Sklyarov not shared by publishers]]

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:42:38 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Fred Gray <fegray@npl.uiuc.edu> -----

I just got permission to forward this.  Nice statement, eh?

-- Fred Gray

*** FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV *** http://www.freesklyarov.org ***

----- Forwarded message from Dan Ochsner <DOchsner@beacon.org> -----

From: Dan Ochsner <DOchsner@beacon.org>
To: "'pschroeder@publishers.org'" <pschroeder@publishers.org>
Subject: AAP opinion on Sklyarov not shared by publishers
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:19:22 -0400

Pat Schroeder
President and CEO
Association of American Publishers

Dear Pat Schroeder,

The AAP's statement praising the arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov under the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act does not represent the views of many book
publishers, including Beacon Press. The Russian software writer's
imprisonment is not an effective way to secure copyrights. Even Adobe
Systems, which originally brought the complaint against Sklyarov, has
withdrawn its support for his prosecution. We ask that the AAP follow suit
immediately and publicly.

Further, we urge the AAP not to misrepresent its membership by blindly
supporting the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Many legal experts have
stated that the DMCA is fundamentally flawed and unconstitutional. It
violates the right of fair use, and it stifles the free speech of software
writers. Left in place, it will hinder and perhaps prevent the development
of a broad e-book marketplace.

Sincerely,

Dan Ochsner
Digital Publishing Director
Beacon Press, Boston

DAN OCHSNER ~ production director
digital publishing director ~ beacon press
www.beacon.org

----- End forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----

   FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV -- FBI has imprisioned a Russian software
   engineer for promoting and teaching the concept of "fair use".
Read more: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010719_eff_sklyarov_alert.html