[sklyarov-chicago] from Adobe

Steve Stearns sterno@bigbrother.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:46:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Nate Riffe wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Michael Cannon wrote:
> > Adobe ACTIVELY lobbied for the law.
> Us bashing Adobe will not get the law repealed.  Us bashing Adobe will not
> get Dmitry out of jail.  Us bashing Adobe will not get resources
> redirected back toward real crime.  The source of this whole problem is
> the DMCA.  Without the DMCA, Sklyarov would be with his family.  Without
> the DMCA, the FBI would have been free to investigate real crimes.

Exactly.  Focus is key here.  Pick one issue and push at it hard.  Sure
Adobe lobied for it.  Sure countless media and software companies lobied
for it.  But if we go out and start railing against corporations we just
end up looking like a bunch of pissed off anarchists.

Our push against Adobe worked.  That goal, getting them to back off
Dimitry, is done.  If you want to go after them, fine, but make it a
seperate issue, don't divert our energies into a bunch of tangential
problems.  The problem is that law, and that is what we must fix.

---Steve