[sklyarov-chicago] [ssteele@eff.org: Re: Why Mueller? Can You Say 'Pressure Point'?]

Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:06:21 -0500

Keep this in mind, folks.

pedro

----- Forwarded message from Shari Steele <ssteele@eff.org> -----

Hi Seth.
Mueller is not a target.  We found out today that he has been in DC for
over six months as an Acting Assistant Attorney General.  There has been an
Acting U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of California, and he is the
one who has power over this decision.  Putting pressure on the Senate
Judiciary Committee makes it look like we don't know what's going on, and
putting pressure on Mueller potentially makes an enemy of the new Director
of the FBI.
Shari

At 03:51 PM 7/25/01 -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>Stanton McCandlish writes:
>
> > > EFF actually worked with then-Rep. Cantwell on her bill, once upon a
> > > time.  Are any of the EFF staff members who were involved with that
> > > still at EFF?
> >
> > Our exec. dir., Shari Steele.
>
>Shari, do you have any interest in getting in touch with Sen.
>Cantwell?  She's on the Senate Judiciary Committee these days.
>
>Do you know what she thinks about the DMCA?  She used to be an
>executive at Real Networks (boo, hiss) while she was on vacation
>from being a Member of Congress.
>
>--
>Seth Schoen
>Volunteer Technologist                                 schoen@eff.org
>Electronic Frontier Foundation                    http://www.eff.org/
>454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110

Shari Steele
Executive Director                                    ssteele@eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation           +1 415 436 9333 x103 (voice)
454 Shotwell Street                             +1 415 436 9993 (fax)
San Francisco, CA  94110

----- End forwarded message -----

   FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV -- FBI has imprisioned a Russian software
   engineer for promoting and teaching the concept of "fair use".
Read more: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010719_eff_sklyarov_alert.html