[sklyarov-chicago] Future Plans...?

Igor Matlin legalalien@runbox.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:29:16 GMT

Hello, people.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the FBI has nothing to do with t=
he controversy.  They did not pass DMCA, and they did not initiate the inve=
stigation.  They did their job, based on the current law.

Neither this has anything to do with Ashcroft and GW, whether you like them=
 or not.  DMCA has been passed in 1998 by voice vote in the House, and *una=
nimously* in the Senate.  The provision against manufacturing of encryption=
 circumvention devices is designed to bring US into compliance with WIPO - =
the international treaty on intellectual property - see http://www.wipo.org=
/eng/diplconf/distrib/94dc.htm, Article 11.   The resulting U.S. law, as qu=
oted in the original complaint against Dmitry, seems on the surface to appl=
y here.  This means that our concern is the 'root' of the problem: WIPO and=
 DMCA.  Neither FBI nor DOJ can do anything about them.   Only the Congress=
 or the courts can overturn the law.  Opposing Mueller's nomination for the=
 top FBI post won't help the cause.

Now, the immediate concern is to get Dmitry of our prison, of course, and t=
hat's where Mueller (as U.S. District Attorney for Northern California) can=
 help.  There are provisions in the law for scientific research.  Perhaps w=
e can come up with a letter and get a bunch of signatures in support of Dmi=
try's release on that basis.  Or, we could join others if there's already a=
 similar letter going around.  Just a thought.

Inn general, y'all can cound on my support for any anti-DMCA activities, bu=
t I'd rather keep politics out of this fight

Cheers,

-Ig.