[UFO Chicago] Fwd: UFO-Chicago Meeting Report

James L Mazurek james at mazurek.chicago.il.us
Wed Jun 12 13:24:34 CDT 2024

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 15:24:11 -0500
From: johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
To: luni-announce-chicago at googlegroups.com
Subject: UFO-Chicago Meeting Report

All,

The meeting was wonderful.

An in-person meeting is better in some ways than an online meeting.

We talked about how single-user system needs can differ from multi-user
system needs.

We talked about how advancements to a system often break things and before
they can fix all the issues they move on to the next advancement and we seem
to never get the reliable operating system we want.

We talked about telephone modems and plain old telephone to IP solutions.

We talked about using a 100 W USB-C PD PPS IQ Quick Charge power supply with
a USB-C PD PPS trigger module to form a 20 V DC power supply for a computer
terminal that was missing a power supply.

We talked about the Silent 700 Computer Terminal.

We talked about line editors.

We talked about computer emulators.

We talked about programming languages such as PPL.

I saw a BSD system for the first time.

We talked about the Plan 9 Operating System.

We talked about DEC PDP, DEC VAX, and DEC VAX VMS.

We talked about saving the planet.

We talked about smart meters for your home.

We talked about power management systems.

Please plan to make the next meeting if you like.

-John Mark Mobley

---------------------------------------

John,

Thank you for the Meeting report.

In the future you should avoid posting messages directly to the
'luni-announce-chicago' list. You are better off sending
UFO-Chicago meeting follow-up messages to the main 'UFO-Chicago' list; a
carbon copy message to the 'luni-chicago' list may also be acceptable.

Keep in mind you must be subscribed to the list(s) in order to post a
message. Otherwise, your messages will be subject to moderation and could
be delayed or discarded.

UFO-Chicago Email List Info
http://ufo.chicago.il.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ufo

luni-chicago Email List Info
https://groups.google.com/g/luni-chicago

If you are only interested in receiving announcements from LUNI or you
plan to post Linux related meeting/event announcements you may
subscribe to the 'luni-announce-chicago' list.

luni-announce-chicago Email List Info
https://groups.google.com/g/luni-announce-chicago

Jim Mazurek