[UFO Chicago] Debian Linux Is Trash

Nate Riffe inkblot at movealong.org
Mon Apr 17 18:41:47 CDT 2023

Jay,

I have experienced this same frustration with Debian on physical hardware.
The detent we find ourselves in is exactly the one you've described, in
which long ago Ethernet hardware became so comoditized that clean room open
source driver development could benefit from an economy of scale and
outcompete the manufacturers' proprietary drivers, whereas wifi hardware
has continually diversified on the cutting edge and open source drivers
only really exist for previous gen devices that happen to have sold well.
There are other areas in which the non-free bogeyman appears as well.

I would offer that Debian is a fine choice for virtual machines and
containers. On physical hardware, you can get the bulk of the benefit of
Debian's rigor from a derivative distribution like Ubuntu or Mint.

Best of luck,
Nate