[UFO Chicago] C++ REST SDK

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Mar 8 11:50:49 PST 2016

Fellow Nerds,

I am writing a C++ program that needs to contact the Stripe server
(https://stripe.com/documents/api#intro).  It is a REST interface.
The development (and, for the moment, the deployment) platform is
Centos 6.6 and the program has to be compiled with the -m32 option
because it links with proprietary 32-bit libraries to which we do
not have the source.

Stripe provides APIs in Ruby, Python, PHP, and Java -- all interpreted
languages -- and also documents what it calls its "Curl" API, which
means, as I understand it, "here are the URLs, you connect to them
and send and retrieve data using any language you like".  This could
literally be using the curl program in a shell script, or it could
be connecting to the URLs from within a program some other way.

Calling std::system for every Stripe transaction is, of course,
bogus.  I am looking for a C++ class library that would enable me to
use the Stripe REST interface without forking a process (two
processes, actually) for each and every transaction.  The other
alternative I thought of would be to keep a PHP interpreter running
at all times as a server, and connect to it using unix-domain (or even
Internet-domain) sockets, but I don't know if PHP can do that.

What C++ class library do you recommend for doing this?  Search
engines have led me to Microsoft's Casablanca project, but I don't see
a CentOS package for it, and I couldn't build it from source on CentOS
using -m32.  As always, thank you in advance for any and all replies.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"