[UFO Chicago] live linux distro to boot from CD not DVD

Carey Tyler Schug sqrfolkdnc at comcast.net
Mon Jan 4 06:19:01 PST 2016

She could afford a current core-7 four way processor, but chooses to
spend money elsewhere, so I don't want to contribute cash.  Over the
years she has had several failures, since the last time I tried to help
on site, I think she has gotten a newer castoff so I don't know what she
has now.

The last time she had problems, she had a relative fix her computer
(re-stamp?  de-virus?  dunno, she is very secretive), but t hat took 2
months during which time she was not responding to emails.  This is for
next time.  She won't switch to a new computer I supply her (one of my
cast offs may still be better than hers), she has no room to store an
extra computer in case she might someday need it.

I'm learning tricks myself, and will probably build stockpile something
myself, though I might use an official rescue disk with recovery tools.
For that I would like a "rescue disk" plus office suite (but no database).

Since my first post, I have built both 32 bit and 64 bit USB sticks with
a second FAT partition, so the USB could be booted, the failed computers
hard disk mounted, files copied to FAT, then taken to another computer,
say at work.  I hadn't known you could partition a USB stick till I
tried it.

I suspect her computer is old enough to not boot from USB though... I
wonder if there is a bootable floppy disk that would boot from USB,
though that's probably too complicated for her.

having office suite on the cd/dvd is so that if there were some
information she needed urgently, she could look at it at least, maybe
print it.  Then she could email to somewhere else, or save to a USB.

Don't want to have to teach her Google docs, sorry.  she is resistant to
change.

Kind of a new topic, though related...I seem to recall there is or was a
distro that you could install, customize, then build back into a
live/install CD.   Any comments?  Especially I'd like to build a
firewall on a bootable CD, with settings stored on a floppy or write
protected SDC card, and work files, logging on  USB.

--Carey