[UFO Chicago] does Ubuntu cache/index the contents of mounted drives ?

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Mon Mar 9 15:42:01 PDT 2015

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Calvin Pryor would write on Mon Mar  9 20:20:16 2015:

> I'm wondering if a listing of the files on this 1T drive might be cached
> somewhere on the hard drives for the two different Ubuntu installs it was
> mounted to ?

The updatedb program is normally run once every 24 hours.  Whether the
updatedb program retained knowledge of those files depends on where
they were mounted, and on the contents of /etc/updatedb.conf, and on
whether updatedb has been run again since those files were taken off
the system.  It probably has, so it's probably too late for you, but
the first thing you should do is modify the appropriate cron file to
prevent updatedb from running again, while you figure out whether you
can locate any trace of them in the updatedb database.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"