[UFO Chicago] Is google too big to fail?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue Jan 21 21:11:40 PST 2014

We often apply this moniker of TBTF to banks, under the theory that without access to money or credit the economy would collapse.  Is the same true for data?

But are Google or Amazon now too big to fail? With so much data and services routed through their servers, is that true for "cloud providers"?  If Amazon goes bankrupt, do you get the data hosted by them on behalf of others (Netflix, Instagram, countless others)?  Is Netflix critical like banks or transport?

They are private companies and one will someday fail.  Even more, we should prepare for them to fail.  Maybe the flameout won't be an accounting scandal but a data theft ala Target that causes a failure.  Then what?

Obviously by my tone I think they are TBTF. But what am I not considering?

Brian

--
Brian Sobolak
brian at planetshwoop.com