[UFO Chicago] awkward admission

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue Dec 2 19:18:49 PST 2014

(Sorry for the partial transmission on the last msg)

So at one of the last meeting we discussed awk.  We probably discuss awk
at most meetings.  But somehow this time it stuck, and I revisited it.

What fun!  It was neat to parse through 4+GB of text to count all of the
words and look for patterns.  I know plenty of tools have this, but the
minimalism of awk is refreshing.

I used it today to parse some large XML files and it was much faster +
easier than other techniques.

SO it's a nice new tool in my toolkit.  Since I tend to be working with
large files now more than databases, it's a hit.