[UFO Chicago] gnome-terminal problem SOLVED

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Sep 15 19:39:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Jay F Shachter <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:

> Now suppose one of these remote machines crashes, but m5 does not.
> This happens relatively often, because m5 is on its own circuit
> breaker, whereas the other computers share a circuit breaker with
> other household applicances, and sometimes the electricity goes out on
> that circuit breaker, while the electric supply to m5 is uninterrupted.
> This is, then, what happens, after the remote machine reboots, and I
> want to re-connect to it:
>
>  $ ssh nomad
>  Warning: Permanently added 'nomad' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
>  jay at nomad's password:
>  Last login: Tue Nov 20 15:47:03 2012 from m5
>  [jay at nomad ~]$ export DISPLAY=m5:0
>  [jay at nomad ~]$ gnome-terminal &
>  [1] 2860
>  [jay at nomad ~]$ Failed to get the session bus: Failed to connect to
> socket /tmp/dbus-VSgG90UqPG: Connection refused
>  Falling back to non-factory mode.
>  Failed to summon the GConf demon; exiting.  Failed to contact
> configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable
> TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system
> crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -
>  1: Failed to get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket
> /tmp/dbus-VSgG90UqPG: Connection refused)
>
>  [1]+  Exit 1                  gnome-terminal

This problem has been solved.  The solution (presented here both for
the benefit of ufo members who may want to know, and for the benefit
of strangers who search our archives looking for solutions to their
problems), is simply:

  dbus-launch gnome-terminal

That is, simply precede the command that failed to get the session bus
with "dbus-launch".

This is, of course, not the ideal solution; the ideal solution is to
remove the residue of the pre-crash session from the computer -- or
computers -- on which it still resides; but it is an adequate
workaround.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784   landline
				(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"