[UFO Chicago] Has FreeBSD 10 Dropped Support For XFS?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Oct 27 09:03:49 PDT 2013

On Sun, October 27, 2013 2:10 am, Jay F Shachter wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> My FreeBSD 10.0 system is failing to recognize my XFS filesystem,
> and "kldload xfs" fails.  Behold:
>

> [root at landru ~]# uname -a
> FreeBSD landru 10.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 10.0-BETA1 #0 r256420: Sun Oct 13
> 03:46:18 UTC 2013 root at snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> [root at landru ~]# mount -r -t xfs /dev/linux_lvm/landruvg-ubuntu /ubuntu
> mount: /dev/linux_lvm/landruvg-ubuntu: Operation not supported by device
> [root at landru ~]# kldload xfs
> kldload: can't load xfs: No such file or directory
> [root at landru ~]# echo /boot/kernel/*xfs*
> /boot/kernel/*xfs*

10.0 is still BETA.  Issues like this should be sent to the freebsd
mailing lists where you can get an answer.  questions at freebsd.org is the
one I used to use when I ran Freebsd regularly.

> Yes, I did build and install the sysutils/xfsprogs port.
>
> Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
>
> P.S. On FreeBSD 10.0 /usr/bin/cc is clang 3.3, not gcc, which is way cool.

Because of gpl 3.0, there has been a concerted effort to get away from any
gnu tools in the core build of the kernel in FreeBSD to prevent issues for
those that want BSD for its BSD license.