[UFO Chicago] silly bash/awk problem -- fatal: cannot open file

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Jun 21 21:09:48 PDT 2012

Hi --

I'm trying to run an awk script on a large CSV file.  The script works on
a column of data, so I want to execute it 78 times, one for each column.

If I run from the command line, all is well.  If I string them all into a
script to run one after the other, it fails with the error:

awk: colWalk.awk:6: fatal: cannot open file
`/home/bs100/src/awk/fileWalk/Result
' for reading (No such file or directory)

The actual command looks like this:

awk -f colWalk.awk -v colNum=1 \
~/src/awk/fileWalk/Results_June21_Instr_ids_DB2AREAD.csv

(It all fits on one line obviously.)

I had changed the file permissions and Results... file is readable by all
and my script is set to execute.  I don't think that's it.  I am guessing
that bash is not handling the '-v colNum=1' part correctly which is
causing it to misinterpret the file name awk needs as an input file.

Shortening the name made no difference.

Any ideas?