[UFO Chicago] Meeting Followup: DDWRT: Persistent Settings Using the 'nvram' Command

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Mon Jul 9 10:12:28 PDT 2012

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Neil R. Ormos would write on Mon Jul  9 11:46:17 2012:

> Further to our discussion of the use of the
> 'nvram' command in a DDWRT shell:
>
>   'nvram set variable=value'
>
> changes the value of variable "in RAM only". [1]
>
> To make that change persist over reboots, you
> should use
>
>   'nvram commit'
>
> which "[s]ave[s] all changed variables to NVRAM." [2]
>
> [1] [2]:  <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware>
>
> --neil

It is fortunate that you knew that, because the command itself does
not document that argument:

   $ nvram
   usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [show]
   $

But the option unquestionably exists, and it appears to work:

   $ nvram commit
   nvram_commit(): end
   $

Many thanks, as always, for your knowledge and counsel.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784   landline
				(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"