[UFO Chicago] Horseradish for those who want it

Young, Darren Darren.Young at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:29:52 PST 2012

I've been growing horseradish, inside and outside the greenhouse for years. To propagate, cut "slips" of the parent tuber and place them in a flat of soil. Keep it moist, but not wet, and in 4-6 weeks you'll have a transplant. A south facing window is good as it'll keep the soil warm. I've even done it on top of the fridge.

It is almost invasive in our growing zone, I highly recommend putting it in a container... A BIG one is best. There's no need to "over winter" the container, the plant will survive winter on the moon. I got my starts from my mother's garden who got hers from my great grandparents farm.