[UFO Chicago] Meeting Followup

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Sep 12 21:12:10 PDT 2011

On Mon, September 12, 2011 9:28 am, Neil R. Ormos wrote:

<snip>

My contribution:

David Mitchell is one of my favorite authors.  I particularly liked "the
1000 autumns of Jacob de Zoet" but Ghostwritten, Black Swan Green, and
Number 9 Dream were good.

http://www.powells.com/s?kw=david+mitchell&class=

David Mitchell is loosely reminiscent of Haruki Murakami, Mr Mitchell
lived in Japan for a long time and their books incorporate dreams and
fantasy.  (Well, some anyway.)  I'd recommend:

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

http://www.powells.com/s?kw=murakami&class=

Here's the book about the UP I keep mentioning.  It's enjoyable.  Maury
Klein has just finished a 3-part series on the UP, and I like it because
it often is able to draw conclusions about larger themes, like running a
widespread organization or why corporations pay benefits in america
instead of the government.  My frustration is that it assumes you already
know A LOT about railroads; I don't.

brian

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780816644605-1