[UFO Chicago] syncing multiple workstations to one master

Calvin Pryor calvinpryor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:22:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Jesse Becker <jesse_becker at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I'd also suggest learning to build RPM/DEB packages as well.  That let's
> you easily encapsulate and distribute programs to multiple machines, but
> that's probably a "stage 2" sort of thing.

Jesse you are reading my mind. My next question was going to be how to
abstract the software from the hardware, so we can set up a master system
with all the packages we want, then push these packages to the rest of the
boxes.

How can we replicating packages ? If I add/remove packages from the
"master", can these changes be propagated to the rest of the lab
automatically ? Or would I have to rebuild the "master package" after all
changes are made, and push out this new package manually ? Or are changes in
the packages handled by one of the tools you already mentioned (puppet,
cfengine, chef) ? Since you also suggested learning how to build packages,
I'm guessing puppet/cfengine/chef does not handle the software packages ?

Looking at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_management sounds
like  puppet/cfengine/chef is "Computer hardware configuration management"
and package replication is "software configuration management" ? but the
link makes the software stuff seem more like what developers would use ?