[UFO Chicago] My database saga continues

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed Oct 12 06:22:28 PDT 2011

So as some of you who regularly attend the meetings know, I have been
complaining about SQL and trying to find an alternative I like for a
project I'm working on.

Unfortunately I finally gave up -- I went back to SQL.  The reason was
more future compatibility:  if I ever want someone besides me to
understand my project, the chance they've had exposure to anything but SQL
is 1 in 100, I think.

So after hunting around for a reasonably speedy rdbms, I've been playing
with H2 and am pretty pleased with it.  It does require running a java
process, but the embedded console (from a browser) is quite nice and the
performance, so far, seems reasonable.  It's definitely better than Derby.

If you're looking for an alternative to MySQL or want an RDBMS to play
around with, I'd look into it.

http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html