[UFO Chicago] non-fiction pieces

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu May 26 20:07:19 PDT 2011

Hi --

I came across this list through some RSS wanderings I did and thought I'd
share.

Best 100 non-fiction pieces of 2010.
<http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/05/nearly-100-fantastic-pieces-of-journalism/238230/>

Many of the pieces were fantastic and I think are relevant for this list.

My personal favorites:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/feb/11/the-chess-master-and-the-computer/?pagination=false

Gary Kasparov on the role computers has played in changing chess.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/25/generation-why/?pagination=false

One of my favorite authors, Zadie Smith, on Facebook.  This made me
rethink facebook.  Also asks the question:  what if computers didn't use
files?  (Not an idle question, as most "Apps" don't use files.)

http://mcsweeneys.net/links/panoramaexcerpts/Ali.html

FANTASTIC story about foreclosures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/sep/24/1

best. parody. ever.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010

One of my favorite authors about the Eurozone Crisis, specifically Greece.

http://www.thepointmag.com/archive/predatory-habits/

Very thoughtful essay on how work has changed in many industries because
of Wall Street's influence.  My favorite from the bunch.

http://places.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=13598

Insight into Wal-Mart's influence on design in America.