[UFO Chicago] Old hard drive question

Carey Tyler Schug sqrfolkdnc at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 07:56:25 PST 2011

As for backup, I think it is worth buying a NEW drive, instead of one
that is old and could fail at any point.  if one is recovering several
old hard disks (like the OP was doing), the enclosure is a lot more work
too...

A new drive will typically be a terabyte at this point, so you can
backup more, or multiple points in time.  For instance, I have deleted
files from a directory, or parts of a spreadsheet, either because I
thought I would never need it again or not realized it, so the most
recent backup was also missing something I desperately needed at some
later point.

Hmmm, for point in time, is anybody doing backups to reiserfs or one of
the other filesystems that lets you view the filesystem as it was at an
earlier point in time?  Would that transparently handle the
point-in-time backup issue?

I guess the price for complete cases has come down, though as a ratio,
the cable only is still "much less".  The last time I looked for cases,
they started at about $80, and the cable only was about $15.

Did anybody ever consider that one or more of the OP's computers might
be old enough to not be IDE or at least not fully compliant IDE?  IIRC,
many early "IDE" drives only worked that that vendor's (or some subset)
of controllers.  If any of the computers was old enough that the disk
connected to a card and not to the motherboard, that is a good
possibility, in which case the board would have to be plugged into a
working computer, probably an older one to hopefully have drivers for
that card...

FYI, you can get SCSI cable converters too.