[UFO Chicago] regulated software quality

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed May 12 19:06:01 PDT 2010

The following quote piqued my interest this week about the possibility of
regulating software quality:

"Financial regulators should take a page from the Federal Aviation
Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board and develop
quality standards for trading software, as well as investigatory
procedures that would allow the industry to learn from episodes like
Thursday?s."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/08/opinion/08durbin.html

I am sure many classes of medical devices also require quality checks as
part of the product development (eg MRIs).

It struck me that perhaps part of the reason so much software seems to be
in such poor quality is that as users we don't demand more?

Can you actually and effectively regulate the quality of software?