[UFO Chicago] alternative ways of locating files

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed Feb 3 19:55:57 PST 2010

On Wed, February 3, 2010 10:55 am, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 05:45:16AM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, February 3, 2010 12:24 am, Jordan Bettis wrote:
>> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:07:21PM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:

<snip>

> That said, if you intend to maintain a relational tag library, Neil's
> suggestion of using symlinks might be a good one. Make each tag its
> own subdirectory like so:
>
> ~brian/tags/blog-ideas/
> ~brian/tags/attempts-to-use-sugar/
> ~brian/tags/references-superman-iii/
> etc

Neat approach.  Symlinks might be a neat solution.

>> It continues to amaze me that there are more nuanced tools for finding
>> files besides navigating a file tree.  When you look at people's
>> computers, and how much frustration it causes for most, it surprises me
>> that more isn't done.  I often think people email files in corporations
>> just so they can find them later.
>
> I really think one of those finder services are what you need.

Probably, but then I would have to maintain everything on a local disk.
For reasons not worth elaborating, I often have to seek files found on
remote machines.

(I was pretty diligent about keeping my work checked into subversion, but
sooner or later I lost diligence.)