[UFO Chicago] alternative ways of locating files

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Tue Feb 2 22:24:12 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:07:21PM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> I've found that I have various techniques for reasonably organizing my
> files so that I can quickly find what I need.  But sometimes I forget,
> especially for older things.
>
> Usually though I can remember this either by location or *when* I worked
> on it.  Yet short of using `find` and searching, I wonder if there is tool
> that organizes your filesystem into a view sorted by last modified time?

You can do 'find . -mtime 1 -mtime +5'

This says, find all files that were last modified more than one day
ago and less than five days ago.

> I recall that OLPC allowed people to find files by tag (instead of by
> filesystem location).  Does it offer other UI improvements?

I believe Nautilus lets you 'tag' files. Like most things in Gnome, it
works by storing your tags in some XML blob that's an affront to all
that knows joy in this world.

--
Jordan Bettis