[UFO Chicago] R we not nerds?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Dec 5 13:48:40 PST 2010

It has recently been pointed out on this mailing list that we are
failing to conduct our twice-montly UFO meetings in character.  If we
are nerds, then we should be spending our time together playing
Dungeons and Dragons -- or at least Go -- rather than expressing mild
opinions on economic policy.

Since this topic was last raised, however, I have learned about an
event taking place in our city that is far more nerd-worthy than any
game that is played with icosahedron-shaped dice: the Greenhouse
Theater Center, at 2257 North Lincoln, 773/4047336, is performing
"A Klingon Christmas Carol", until Sunday, December 19.  I am not
making this up.  Except for a Vulcan narrator who occasionally speaks
English, the entire play is performed by Klingon actors, in the
Klingon language, with English subtitles.  A certain amount of
cultural as well as linguistic translation had to take place in the
production of this play, as Klingons do not value kindness and
generosity so much as bravery, and blood-lust.  But by the end of the
play, SQuja' learns his lesson, and becomes a true Klingon.

I totally want to see this, and I don't even observe Christmas.  I
propose that we see it as a group.  Please RSVP to the mailing list.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"