[UFO Chicago] Thanks guys!

Daniel Kelly daniel.jp.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:54:48 PDT 2009

It was nice meeting up with some like-minded individuals tonight, so thanks
for that guys.  Sorry I had to leave abruptly, I like to sleep once in
awhile.  I would've liked to hear more of the PSTN and packet/circuit
switching conversation; I know very little about the topic.  I intend to
come out again so I can maybe argue with Neil more (JK), learn a little more
and just chat.

Thanks Again!
-Dan

P.S.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy:

dan at dan-laptop:~$ uname -a
Linux dan-laptop 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:25:34 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I was just trying to get across why I see companies not making the switch,
and I agree with the reasons you brought up Neil, but some of the logic of
senior IT staff and/or managers is perfectly logical in my opinion. I'd be
interested to see a full analysis and comparison of: A. Staying with
Microsoft products or B. Switching to entirely FOSS.

Also the inherent instability and buginess of Ubuntu came up - try Jaunty if
you haven't already. I've tried it on several x86 32 and 64 bit systems and
it's a lot better than previous versions with the exception of a few minor
things like how NetworkManager isn't as robust as it could be. I can't
compare it to Debian though because I haven't used any recent releases.